Our Financial Counsellor is here to help.
DUSA Financial Counselling is a non-judgmental, independent, confidential and free service provided to inform, support and advocate for students experiencing financial difficulty. Having the support of a financial counsellor can relieve your money worries.
The DUSA Financial Counsellor will…
- Assess your financial situation and understand which debts are priorities
- Understand other factors affecting your situation such as health, abuse, stability of employment, relationship status, and housing situation
- Assist you to develop a budget and provide information about government assistance
- Identify your options and the advantages and disadvantages of each option
- Advocate and negotiate on your behalf e.g. reduce/defer/waive payments with creditors, access grants or concessions
- Provide information on your legal rights, such as hardship variation, how the credit reporting system works or what is acceptable behaviour of debt collectors, and the impact of bankruptcy
- Identify if you need referral to legal advice or other services.
To help our Financial Counsellor understand your situation, it is helpful to bring the following items to your first appointment:
- Details of your income or Centrelink statement
- Bank statements
- A list of all debts
- Information about all loan agreements you have
- Details about current or outstanding bills
- Any court documents you may have received
- Any other letters about bills or debts that are worrying you.
Financial Counselling Survey - Terms & Conditions