Looking at applying for an extension or Special Consideration?
DUSA Advocacy can help.
Extensions and Special Consideration are separate applications, you can find out more in the Assessment (Higher Education Courses) Procedure.
- You can apply for an extension when circumstances beyond your control prevent you from submitting an assignment by the due date, attending a test, placement, practicum or similar. You should speak to your Unit Chair as soon as you become aware of any problems.
- Your Unit Chair may allow you to do the task at another time or may give you an extension of up to two weeks. Assignment extensions are normally only approved when you apply before the assessment task due date.
- A maximum of 14 days can be granted as an extension. Unit Chairs may also suggest you apply for Special Consideration in circumstances where rescheduling is impractical, you require more than two weeks’ extension, or you were unable to apply before the due date.
For more information on how to apply for an extension; see your Faculty web page:
Faculty of Arts and Education Assessment Extensions
Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment Extensions
Faculty of Business and Law Extensions
Faculty of Health Extensions
- You can apply for special consideration if your performance is temporarily and adversely affected by circumstances outside of your control. You may apply for approval to undertake an assessment task at another time or to take additional time to complete an assessment task.
- Students must apply no later than 3 working days after the due date of the assessment task or date of examination. (Contact your Faculty/School/Campus office if extraordinary circumstances prevent you from lodging your application online or within the three-day timeframe.)
Please note: If you have been granted an extension and are unable to meet the new deadline, you are able to apply for Special Consideration.
For information regarding allowable grounds to apply for Special consideration, documentary evidence required and details of the application process please click here.
DUSA Advocates can support you with your extension and Special Consideration applications
- DUSA Advocates provide confidential advice and support on a range of academic and personal matters, including special consideration.
- Your DUSA Advocate will work together with you to assess your situation and discuss possible courses of action.
- Your DUSA Advocate can assist you to work out what kind of supporting documentation you could provide as part of your special consideration application.
- If your special consideration application is denied, you can contact DUSA Advocacy for further advice and assistance. DUSA Advocates can also provide information and referrals to Deakin services and external services.
- For more information or to speak to a DUSA Advocate about your situation, please contact us.